Pre-application checks and applying
Before you start your application
Check if you need a licence
You can check if you need a licence (opens in new window) on The Scottish Government website.
Read the guidance
You should read The Scottish Government information and guidance (opens in new window) about licenses for short-term lets.
Complete the following risk assessments before starting your application:
- a Legionnaires risk assessment
- a Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Fire Safety Checklist
- a Fire Safety risk assessment (refer to for guidance - Fire safety risk assessment guidance)
You'll also need to upload:
- electrical installation condition report
- portable appliance testing report
- building insurance
- public liability insurance
- floor layout plan
Where applicable, you'll also need to upload:
- energy performance certificate
- gas safety certificate
- private water supply sample results
- planning permission evidence
- existing host evidence
Make your application
You'll need a MyScotBorders account to apply.
You can apply online. As you go through the application if you realise you don't have all the documents ready, you'll be able to save your progress and return to it later.
We won't be able to consider your application without all the required supporting documentation. If you don't provide all the documentation on submission, your application won't be complete and won't be valid.