Marriages and civil partnerships

Get in contact with a Registrar

As soon as you have decided where and when to hold your ceremony, you should contact a Registrar in the district where the venue is located.

You can find out which Registrar you should contact by selecting 'Registration offices' from the 'Find your nearest' section at the bottom of this page and typing in the postcode of your venue.

Documents required

You have to provide certain documents when you apply to be married or register a civil partnership in Scotland:

  • You will both need to provide your full birth certificates (not photocopies)

If you have been married/in a civil partnership before, you will need show us proof that this marriage/civil partnership has ended. You will need to provide either:

  • your divorce document/civil partnership dissolution certificate
  • the death certificate of your former spouse/partner if you have been widowed

If you are not British you may also need to provide:

  • A certificate of no impediment (CONI) - a document from your home country stating you are free to marry

If any of these documents are not written in English you must provide a certified translation in English.


Scottish Borders Council assumes no responsibility for any injury, loss or damage incurred as a result of adverse weather conditions that make it impossible for our staff to attend ceremonies to carry out their duties.

In the event that a ceremony has to be postponed because of inclement weather, our Registration Service will be unable to refund your registration fees for that ceremony.

Please note every effort will be made to re-schedule the ceremony for when conditions improve.