Support for parent councils
We provide support for parent councils in schools in a variety of ways.
All parent councils receive a grant to cover basic running costs. The grant is based on the school roll and is paid directly into the parent council or school bank account.
Membership of the Scottish Parent Teacher Council
We take out a group membership of the Scottish Parent Teacher Council (SPTC) for all parent councils in Borders schools each year.
The membership entitles parent councils to a number of services from SPTC including advice and information, and also provides extensive insurance for parent council events and activities.
Scottish Borders Parent Council Forum
At least 3 times a year, parent councils are invited to send one or two representatives to the Scottish Borders Parent Council Forum.
Parent councils have the opportunity to request items for the agenda. Senior staff in Children and Young people's Services take the opportunity to consult with parents on a wide range of educational topics.
Parent council member training
Training courses are available for parent council members and those thinking about joining. If you are interested in hosting a training session, contact the Parental Involvement Officer.
- Parent Council Essentials (PCE) - How parent councils work and what they can get involved in
- Parent Council Essentials 2 (PCE2) - The next steps
- Focus on Communications - Communication with your Parent Forum is the key to success
- Effective Meetings - How to get the most out of your meetings
- Organising Social and Fundraising Events - licensing, risk assessment, 1st aid, food hygiene and much more..
- The Role fo Office Bearers & Committee Meetings - A whistle stop tour of the roles of office bearers
- Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) - Understand how PVG works - helping you to keep your children and volunteers safe
Occasionally we will provide training for parent council members on local initialtives (for example: Anti-Bullying (Respectful Relationships Policy), Parental Involvement Policy and Social Media for Schools).