Help with rising energy costs
We are aware that increases to the energy price cap and energy costs are putting pressure on household budgets.
There are a number of places where you can get help and support, and a range of ways you may also be able to reduce your energy use.
If you are struggling with energy bills, here are some things you can do:
- Contact your energy supplier - they may be able to provide support or agree a payment plan
- Check what schemes, grants and benefits may be available to you. If you are experiencing hardship through an unexpected emergency and have a low income, you may be eligible for a Crisis Grant to help with some of your living costs such as energy bills
- Get debt advice
- Make changes at home to help reduce your energy use
Help and advice for householders
There are a wide range of resources where you can find out more information and access additional help and advice:
- Our own home energy efficiency and affordable warmth information and advice page
- Ensure you are accessing all available benefits and grants you are eligible for with our online calculator
- Scottish Government has a dedicated webpage on energy and bills which provides information and links through to a range of sources of advice and support, including grants and funding schemes.
- Home Energy Scotland provides information on grants and funding support to increase home energy efficiency, and tips on reducing energy usage. Support is also available through the Warmer Homes Scotland programme to those struggling to stay warm and keep on top of energy bills
- Changeworks' Affordable Warmth Services Team provide free and impartial advice and support to householders who are in or at risk of fuel poverty, including access to grants and help with energy usage and billing issues.
- The Fuel Bank Foundation also provides information, advice and links to support available
- Ofgem provides advice and links to other support available
- The Citizens Advice Bureau website provides information on grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills and debt advice
- Advice for older people facing challenges with heating their homes and paying energy bills is available from Age Scotland
- During the winter additional support may also be available, including Child Winter Heating Assistance and the winter fuel payment
- Check with your energy provider to find out how to apply for a Warm Home Discount
- Further advice and information on home energy and helping to meet the national Net Zero target can be found on the Net Zero Nation website