Benefits and COVID-19
Information is available on Ask CPAG about Benefits and how these are affected by COVID-19.
If you live in the Scottish Borders, you can use our free online Benefit Calculator to check if you are eligible to make a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction. You can also see how much you may be entitled to or check how any changes to your circumstances may affect your entitlement.
Unless you fall in to one of the categories below you will not be eligible to apply for Housing Benefit and will need to apply for Universal Credit. If you apply for Universal Credit you will still need to make a separate claim for Council Tax reduction
- you are in supported housing or temporary accommodation
- you are single and have reached state pension age or are part of a couple where you have both reached state pension age. To check you/your partners state pension age you can use the governments Pension Age checker
NHS Borders Money Worries App
The Money Worries App is free and contains a directory of support available both nationally and locally. The app covers a wide range of issues such as debt, energy saving, housing and health. Search for NHS Borders Money Worries App on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store or download it directly at:
Mixed Age Couples Housing Benefit
If you are part of a mixed age couple where one of you are working age and the other is state pension age you can only make a new claim to Housing Benefit if you are part of the couple where the elder partner has been in receipt of State Pension Credit continually (without a break) since before 15 May 2019.
Start a new Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction calculation/claim
You can also use any of the below calculators to see which benefits you may be entitled to:
- entitledto - calculations include all benefits and can also detail how your income would be affected if you start or finish work
- turn2us - calculations include income related benefits (Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance and Income support), Tax Credits and Universal Credit
- moneymap - Citizens Advice Scotland will help you find sources of online support to increase your income, reduce your bills or ease the cost of daily living
Bedroom entitlement calculator
Our bedroom entitlement calculator is available for you to check how many bedrooms you could receive benefit for.
When will I receive my next Housing Benefit payment?
Housing Benefit is normally paid every four weeks in arrears on a Friday. If you are unsure when your next payment is due please phone 0300 100 1800 or visit your local Contact Centre.