Visual impairment

What services do we offer

We offer information, advice and guidance on any problem relating to a visual loss.

Getting an assessment

Once we receive a referral, we will contact you with an introductory letter. This will be followed up, usually by telephone to offer you a home visit.

During the visit we will talk with you about the difficulties you are experiencing and discuss what support may be available to help you. You may find it helpful for a friend or family member to be present.

We will complete an assessment which may lead to you getting additional services. You may be coping well with your visual loss and only require information or advice about certain services.

You may benefit from additional support such as care at home, Bordercare alarm, respite or day care services to help you retain your independence and improve your quality of life. More information about this is available in the Services for adults section.

If applicable, your eligibility for registration will be also be explained so you can decide whether or not to be placed on the local authority register.

Some people have a dual sensory loss, they have both low vision and a hearing loss. These factors are taken into account at the initial assessment stage and if necessary, specialist workers with people who are deaf, deafened or hard of hearing will work alongside to offer additional support.

Find out more

Read the Low Vision Services information book.

How do I get a service?

If you are experiencing difficulties with your vision or have a family member, relative or friend who would benefit from any of our services, please contact us and ask to speak with one of our workers.

Download the Low Vision Services information book Download the Clear Print Guidelines

Sensory services team

SMS Text Messaging: 07786 856597

Address: Adult Social Work & Practice
Community Equipment Services
Unit 1&2, Block 5 Tweedbank Industrial Estate
Galashiels TD1 3RS

Telephone: 01450 364644