Complaining about a Councillor

How to make a complaint

Any complaint about the conduct of a councillor should be sent in writing to our Chief Executive. The person making the complaint must disclose their name and provide full contact details. The complaint must also include the following details:

  • name of the councillor against whom the complaint is being alleged
  • nature of the conduct alleged
  • part of the Councillors' Code of Conduct which is alleged to have been breached

The complaint should be accompanied by any supporting evidence on which the complainer intends to rely.

Acknowledgement of complaint

The Chief Executive will issue an acknowledgement of receipt to the complainer within five working days and shall send a copy of the complaints procedure to them. The Chief Executive will advise the complainer that the full details of their complaint will be sent to the Defendant. The Chief Executive may seek clarification from the complainer in relation to any aspect of the complaint. The date of receipt of such clarification shall then be deemed to be the date of receipt of the complaint.

Intimation of the complaint to the Councillor

Within five working days of the date of receipt of the complaint (or as soon as possible thereafter), the Chief Executive shall intimate the complaint to the Defendant. In particular, the Defendant shall be informed of the following:

  • identity of the complainer
  • the exact nature of the complaint
  • the provisions of the Code of Conduct which they are alleged to have contravened

In addition, the Defendant shall be sent a copy of the complaints procedure.

What happens to my complaint?

Your complaint will be passed on to the Monitoring Officer who will investigate and provide a response to your complaint. The Monitoring Officer's duties are to ensure that Councillors follow the Councillors' Code of Conduct and that we act legally at all times.

Further information

You also have the right to make a complaint to the Public Standards Commissioner.

Download guidance on making a complaint about a Councillor

Chief Executive department

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800