Health and safety

Reportable accidents

Reporting and investigation of accidents, dangerous occurrences and diseases at work

The law requires employers to report certain types of work related accidents, diseases or dangerous occurrences. Officers will investigate incidents, in accordance with our policy and procedures, to establish if health and safety law has been broken with the aim of preventing similar accidents reoccurring.

What to report

Further information about the types of accidents and near misses the law requires employers to report can be found on the RIDDOR website.

If you have an accident or near miss at work, make sure it is reported promptly and is subject to an internal investigation.

There is comprehensive information on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website about the circumstances that lead to a report being made. The main criteria is that the incident is work related and happened out of or in connection with work. Work related means:

  • the way the work was carried out
  • any machinery, plant, substances or equipment used for the work
  • the condition of the site or premises where the accident happened

How to report an accident at work

A telephone service is available for reporting fatal and major injuries only. Call the incident contact centre on 0845 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30am-5pm).

All reportable accidents can be reported via the RIDDOR website.

You can contact us online with any concerns about an accident or near miss at work.

Environmental health

Noise and odour control, contaminated land, food safety, health and safety, licensing, infectious disease, stray dogs

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800