Food safety

Privacy notice

When you report an incident or issue to Protective Services (Trading Standards or Environmental Health) you are sending data to us as the data controller.

Data Controller

The information you have provided will be processed by Scottish Borders Council, Newtown St Boswells, TD6 0SA. You can contact us by phone 0300 100 1800 or email

Data Protection Officer

Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted using the contact details above or by emailing

How will your information be used?

The information you provide is necessary for the performance of a task which is carried out by us in it’s official authority. We are collecting and using this information to keep you informed of the progress of your enquiry and to contact you if we require any further information from you.

Who we may share your information with

Your information may be accessed by our staff who need to use it in order to provide the service described above. Your information may be shared with Food Standards Scotland. Your information may also be analysed internally in order to provide management information, inform service delivery reform and similar purposes to meet our duty to achieve best value and continuous service improvement. 

In general we do not transfer personal data outside either the UK or the European Economic Area (EEA) and on the rare occasions when we do so we will inform you. We will only transfer data outside the UK and the EEA when it is satisfied that the party which will handle the data and the country it is processing it in will provide adequate safeguards for personal privacy. 

How long will your information will be stored for?

Any records kept on the internal Protective Service databases will be retained in accordance with our retention schedule. Information provided to us will be kept for seven years.

Your rights

You have the right to request access to any personal data held about you by us. You can also request that we restrict the use of your information or even object to any further processing. You can do this by contacting the Data Protection Officer using the contact details provided above. We will respond to your request within thirty calendar days.

For more information on your rights, visit our website or if you would like a hard copy of this information, please contact us.

How to raise a complaint

If you are unhappy with the way we have processed your personal data please contact our Data Protection Officer. If after raising your concerns with the Data Protection Officer you remain dissatisfied you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office:

  • address: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
  • phone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545745
  • email: