You can get 100% rates relief if your property is in a designated rural area (see below) and it is:
- a small food shop, general store or post office with a rateable value below £8.5k
- a small hotel, public house or petrol filling station with a rateable value of up to £12,750
Up to 100% discretionary relief may be considered for any other business providing a benefit to a rural community where the rateable value of their property is up to £17k.
What is a designated rural area?
Designated rural areas (also known as rural settlements) must:
- be wholly or partly within the Scottish Borders
- have a population not exceeding 3k
- be wholly or partly within a 'rural area' as prescribed by the Secretary of State
The Secretary of State has prescribed the whole of the Scottish Borders as a rural area excluding the settlements of:
Apply for a reduction
Download and complete the application form and return it, along with any supporting information, to the address on the form.