Education and training
One of the national outcomes in the Scottish Government National Performance Framework states that "We are well-educated, skilled and able to contribute to society". Every individual should have equal opportunity to achieve this regardless of gender, background or any other Equalities protected characteristic. We use the latest research and data to make sure Scottish Borders plays its part in making this outcome happens in our region. The information on this page is an analysis of the policy framework and the topic areas that informs this national outcome.
Scottish Borders Policy framework
The 2018-23 Scottish Borders Corporate Plan is key to our policy framework on how we plan to deliver services in the next five years. It consists of eight corporate priorities, which are informed by an evidence base, including the Strategic Assessment.
Education and training are central to the following Corporate Priorities:
- 2: "Improving attainment and achievement"
- 6: "Developing our workforce"
Find out more about our strategies for Community Learning and Development.
There is a large amount of evidence from official statistics to inform education and training policy development, across a wide range of topic areas.
School education and learning support
- numeracy and literacy at key stages throughout primary and secondary education
- senior phase attainment
- supporting learning for children with additonal needs
- attainment in children with additional needs
Support for school leavers and young people
- participation measures (school leaver destinations)
- participation measures in school leavers with additional needs
- retraining, reskilling and upskilling opportunities for working-age people
- adult learners who may have additional support needs
- adults' highest level of qualification
Education and the workplace
- highest level of qualification in adults
- modern apprenticeships
- working-age adults with additional needs in the workplace
The Corporate Performance and Information Research and Information team regularly reviews education-related official statistics to inform strategic policy development and communities. If you need any information on any of the topics listed above and would like help finding it, please contact us. We will publish any education-related information notes and area profiles as we produce them.