Care homes

Care homes in the Scottish Borders

Care homes provide 24-hour care for people over 65 years of age who need support which cannot be provided either at home or in other types of supported accommodation.

  • Support is available for people who have a variety of needs such as physical frailty, mental health needs or a diagnosis of dementia or Alzheimer’s.
  • Placements may be on a permanent or temporary basis and can range from a short stay of a few days to long term stays.

There is a range of homes available across the Borders run by the Council and private providers.

Applying to move into a care home

If you are considering residential care, the first step is for you to have an assessment.

  • This will involve one or more meetings with you to talk about all the options available to you.
  • Your family carers can be involved in these meetings if you agree to this.
  • Together we will agree on the care which will be best for you. Normally we would look to assist you to remain at home.
  • If we think a care home is the best option, we will help you to arrange one that is right for you. You will be allocated a named worker who will support you through the process.
  • We will also discuss the cost of residential care with you.

How do I arrange an assessment?

  • If you already have a named worker, they will be able to arrange this for you.
  • If you do not have a named worker, you or someone you know can call us on 0300 100 1800 (Option 1). You can also visit your nearest What Matters Hub for advice.

Finding a care home

  • If it has been decided that residential care is the best option, you should visit care homes and have a look around. You can meet staff and residents and find out about the care provided.
  • The Care Information Scotland website provides useful advice on what to look for when choosing a home.
  • The Care Inspectorate's website explains more about how they regulate and inspect all care homes. Their reports will tell you about the quality of each care home.

What happens next?

  • Once you and your named worker have a found a placement that is suitable, they will advise you on the process of moving into the home.