A private landlord has certain legal rights and responsibilities toward their tenant/s. These vary depending on the type of tenancy or occupancy arrangement in place.
Before letting a property
- You need to register as a landlord
- When marketing your property, your advert must include your landlord registration number and the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating
- Landlords renting to three or more unrelated people must have a House of Multiple Occupation licence before they can let their property.
- Contact your mortgage provider and home insurance provider to notify them you plan to let out the property
- Ensure property is safe (gas safety, electrical installation condition report (EICR) smoke and heat detectors, carbon monoxide detectors).