COVID-19 information for Private Landlords
The rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19 is understandably causing landlords and agents to query the likely implications for themselves, their businesses, tenants and clients.
The Scottish Government have provided a set of FAQs on the main questions and concerns from the private sector.
If you have any queries regarding the requirements of Landlord Registration please contact our Private Sector Liaison and Enforcement Officer by email [email protected] or call 01896 661 392.
Landlord Legal Obligations
A private landlord has certain legal rights and responsibilities toward their tenant/s. These vary depending on the type of tenancy or occupancy arrangement in place.
Before letting a property
- You need to register as a landlord
- When marketing your property, your advert must include your landlord registration number and the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating
- Landlords renting to three or more unrelated people must have a House of Multiple Occupation licence before they can let their property.
- Contact your mortgage provider and home insurance provider to notify them you plan to let out the property
- Ensure property is safe (gas safety, electrical installation condition report (EICR) smoke and heat detectors, carbon monoxide detectors).