Getting Married

What documents are required

When submitting marriage notice forms to the Registrar, each of you must supply the following:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Proof of current/usual residence e.g. Utility bill (not older than 3 months), bank/building society statement (not older than 1 month), most recent council tax bill, valid UK driving licence
  • A decree of divorce, dissolution or annulment, if the person giving notice has previously been married or in a registered civil partnership and the marriage or civil partnership has been dissolved. A decree of divorce granted out with Scotland must be absolute or final. A decree nisi is not acceptable
  • If you are a widow or widower, the death certificate of your previous spouse
  • If your domicile is abroad, a certificate of no impediment issued by the competent authority to the effect that you are free to marry
  • If any of these documents is in a language other than English, a certified translation in English must also be provided
  • If you are a non EEA national further documentation will need to be completed. Please also download and complete a Declaration of Immigration Status Form Home Office.