Submit a petition
You can submit a petition to us about issues which relate to matters within our responsibility or affects the general well-being of residents of the Borders.
- Petitions should be submitted with at least ten signatures from persons aged 16 or over.
- Signatures must be from a minimum of three addresses.
- Petitions from local businesses will be accepted where there is support from at least five businesses on the valuation roll for Scottish Borders Council.
How do I submit a petition?
- read our petition guidance question and answers
- download the relevant petition form (PDF) or request one from the Clerk to the Council and complete it
- return it as instructed on the petition form.
What happens after I submit a petition?
If your petition is valid, it will be put forward to the next meeting of the Petitions Committee which meets four times a year. The decision made will be recorded in the minute and sent to the principal petitioner. There will be no right of appeal to a final decision made in response to a petition.