Submit a petition
You can submit a petition to us about issues which relate to matters within our responsibility or affects the general well-being of residents of the Borders.
- Petitions should be submitted with at least ten signatures from persons aged 16 or over.
- Signatures must be from a minimum of three addresses.
- Petitions from local businesses will be accepted where there is support from at least five businesses on the valuation roll for Scottish Borders Council.
How do I submit a petition?
- read our petition guidance question and answers
- download the relevant petition form (PDF) or request one from the Clerk to the Council and complete it
- return it as instructed on the petition form.
What happens after I submit a petition?
If your petition is valid, it will be put forward to the next appropriate meeting of the Audit and Scrutiny Committee. The decision made will be recorded in the minute and sent to the principal petitioner. There will be no right of appeal to a final decision made in response to a petition.