Disabled adaptations

The 'Scheme of Assistance' helps homeowners and private sector tenants with issues of property maintenance and repair, and with disabled adaptations to aid independent living.

How we can help

We can help homeowners by:

  • giving free advice about how to carry out repair and maintenance to your property
  • helping with organising communal repairs
  • in some cases by offering practical help to identify and prioritise repair and maintenance works to property
  • advise on heating and energy efficiency from our Home Energy Adviser

Owners are responsible for finding their own resources to fund the repairs and maintenance needed.

Direct grant aid (with the exception of unwholesome private water supply) is no longer available for repair or maintenance.

Adapting your home

If you have difficulty moving around your home because of mobility or health issues we may be able to help. This might mean recommending a major change to your property or getting a small piece of equipment.

For more advice about help with adapting your home, contact Social Work for information on their services.

Grants for adaptations

If you are disabled, or live with someone who has a disability, you may be entitled to a grant to help adapt your home. Mandatory grants are available to provide structural alterations to help meet the needs of a disabled person.

How much funding is available?

Mandatory grants allow for up to 80% funding of the total cost of any alteration. Any grant level above 80% is calculated on a means tested basis.

How do I apply for funding?

All requests for grant assistance are assessed. To get an assessment for a grant you should first contact Social Work online or by calling 0300 100 1800. You will then be put in touch with an Occupational Therapist, who will carry out an assessment to see if you may be eligible for a grant.

We operate a priority system to ensure that those with critical needs receive services first.

Self-funded home adaptations

Clients wishing to self-fund (i.e. not wanting to access a grant) disabled adaptation works can use Borders Care and Repair service and do not need to contact the Social Work Department for an assessment.

Borders Care and Repair service

This service helps disabled homeowners or private sector tenants with adaptations that will enable them to stay in their own home. They offer a free service to project manage the entire adaptation process.

This includes

  • helping to complete the application form which needs to be submitted to us, specifying the works and obtaining any necessary consents
  • helping the client choose and appoint reliable contractors
  • overseeing the works and ensuring the adaptation is completed to a satisfactory standard

Help to Adapt scheme

If you do not meet the criteria for the Scheme of Assistance, you may be able to get help through the Scottish Government's Help to Adapt scheme - a new initiative designed to help older people live independently in their own home for as long as possible.

Find out more about the Help to Adapt scheme. To make an enquiry about adaptations, contact the team.

Download information about Housing