Disabled adaptations

The Scheme of Assistance helps homeowners and private sector tenants with issues of property maintenance and repair, and with disabled adaptations to aid independent living.

How we can help

We can help homeowners by:

  • giving free advice about how to carry out repair and maintenance to your property
  • helping with organising communal repairs
  • in some cases by offering practical help to identify and prioritise repair and maintenance works to property
  • advise on heating and energy efficiency from our Home Energy Adviser

Owners are responsible for finding their own resources to fund the repairs and maintenance needed.

Direct grant aid (with the exception of unwholesome private water supply) is no longer available for repair or maintenance.

Adapting your home

If you have difficulty moving around your home because of mobility or health issues we may be able to help. This might mean recommending a major change to your property or getting a small piece of equipment.

For more advice about help with adapting your home, contact Social Work for information on their services.

Strategic Housing, Policy and Development Team

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 01896 661392

Fax: 01896 662765