Council housing and housing associations

We no longer have any Council houses

Registered Social Landlords, often called Housing Associations, are now the main providers of new and affordable rented housing for people in the Scottish Borders.

See details of all housing providers in the Scottish Borders in our directory of registered landlords and housing associations.

What is a Registered Social Landlord, or Housing Association?

These are generally non-profit distributing organisations that provide affordable homes (for rent or to purchase) to people that qualify. They get grants from the Scottish Government to subsidise the costs of building affordable homes. Unlike private sector landlords, they are subject to a Statutory Regulation and Inspection regime performed by the Scottish Housing Regulator.

The four largest Registered Social Landlords active in Scottish Borders are:

There are also a small number of national Housing Associations which have housing available in the Borders and provide both general and specialist housing.

How do I apply for social housing?

In order to apply for a social house you should contact your preferred housing provider for information and advice about their application process. For housing association contact details please see our directory of registered landlords and housing associations.

Mid-market rent

Mid-market rent is aimed at helping households in employment, on modest incomes, to rent accommodation at an affordable level. As well as lower rents than the private rental market, mid-market rent offers tenants assurance that they will be getting a good quality home with a landlord who offers high standards of service. We are working with Scottish Futures Trust to provide good quality, energy efficient new homes for mid-market rental.

For more information please visit Eildon Housing Association

Can you help if I am homeless?

Our Homeless Services team provide advice and support for people who are homeless.

Can I swap my property with another tenant?

As a Registered Social Landlord tenant, you are able to make a mutual swap with other tenants. House Exchange is one organisation which coordinates house exchanges all over the country. You can also contact your landlord for more information.

Find out more

For more information, please contact the Housing Strategy team.

View directory of registered landlords and housing associations

Housing Strategy, Policy and Development

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. boswells

Telephone: 01896 661392

Fax: 01896 662765