Grants and funding

Grants for adaptations

If you are disabled, or live with someone who has a disability, you may be entitled to a grant to help adapt your home. Mandatory grants are available to provide structural alterations to help meet the needs of a disabled person.


Available funding

Mandatory grants allow for up to 80% funding of the total cost of any alteration. Any grant level above 80 per cent is calculated on a means tested basis.

Apply for funding

All requests for grant assistance are assessed. To get an assessment for a grant you should first contact Social Work online or by calling 0300 100 1800. You will then be put in touch with an Occupational Therapist, who will carry out an assessment to see if you may be eligible for a grant.

We operate a priority system to ensure that those with critical needs receive services first.

Self-funded home adaptations

Clients wishing to self-fund (i.e. not wanting to access a grant) disabled adaptation works can use Borders Care and Repair service and do not need to contact the Social Work Department for an assessment.