Empty Homes Grant Scheme
We are able to provide support to owners wishing to bring their empty homes back into use, with a grant scheme. This is a discretionary scheme and will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
- The empty home must be located in the Scottish Borders.
- The home must be registered as empty for at least 12 months prior to application.
- Applicants must be either looking to live in the property or to rent it out at Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates for a minimum period of 5 years.
- Vacant commercial properties may be considered.
What you need to know
- The maximum grant award available is £25,000 per empty home
- Applicants with multiple empty homes can apply for up to 5 empty homes.
- To bring an empty property back into use where the intention is to rent the property, the grant is capped at 75% of eligible works to a maximum of £25k per property.
- Where owners intend to occupy the property themselves the grant is capped at 50% of eligible works to a maximum of 25k per property.
- Grant will be awarded as a package of renovation works.
- Grant will be paid out upon completion.
- Minimum of two estimates will be required.
- Works must be carried out within 12 months from the date of approval.
- Retrospective works cannot be included in application.
- Full planning permission, listed building consent and building warrant will need to be in place, if required.
- Properties should not have had any previous grant/loan or public subsidy in the last 10 years (excluding energy efficiency related grants through Energy Efficient Scotland, Area Based Scheme - EES:ABS)
- Upon completion; grant conditions will be recorded on property title deeds.
If you wish to explore the opportunity of grant funding for your empty homes project please fill in our expression of interest form and return it to our Empty Homes Officer at Rachel.firstname.lastname@example.org