Property matchmaker scheme
The property matchmaker scheme aims to match empty property home owners who are considering selling their property with people who want to buy an empty home.
Selling an empty home
Not all empty home owners have the time or financial resources to return their property to use, and sometimes the best solution is to sell the property to someone who can. Whether your empty home needs repair or is ready to move in you are welcome to join the scheme. Property Matchmaker benefits for sellers include:
- it is a free service
- people who specifically want to purchase an empty property will be advised about owners who may consider selling and have a property meeting the buyers criteria
Buying an empty home
If you are interested in purchasing an empty home, the Property Matchmaker can help you find the property (or properties) that are right for you. You can also let us know if there is a particular empty property that you are interested in purchasing. With your consent, we can pass your contact details onto the owner. Property Matchmaker benefits for buyers include:
- it is a free service
- an empty home needing repair can give people on a lower budget the opportunity to buy at a more affordable price, and an opportunity to personalise the property to meet their requirements and taste
- there are a wide range of empty home types, ranging from modern to historic, move in condition to renovation projects, large to small, and rural to urban
How to join
If you are an owner interested in the scheme, complete the owner registration form and return it to the Housing Strategy team.
To buy an empty home, let us know what you are looking for by completing the buyer registration form and either emailing or posting it back to the Housing Strategy team.
You will be contacted to confirm receipt of your registration.
How the scheme works
- the scheme is a free service
- each of the participating councils will hold a list of potential buyers
- when a match is spotted between an empty home and a buyer's requirements, the empty home owner and the buyer will receive each other's details to follow up
Please note that the Property Matchmaker is not an estate agency, and all negotiations and sales processes take place between the seller and buyer. We recommend that anyone who is seeking to sell their property obtains independent professional valuation and legal advice (from a solicitor or estate agent).
Find out more
Please contact the Housing Strategy team for more information.