Court services

If you are convicted of an offence, the court may ask for a criminal justice social work report to be written. This helps the court decide what sentence they should impose.

Criminal justice social work reports

A report is required before:

  • a community payback order can be imposed
  • a custodial sentence can be imposed on a person under 21 years of age
  • issuing a custodial sentence to someone for the first time
  • before an individual who is, at the time of sentencing, in receipt of social work supervision can be sentenced for a further offence.

The report will contain details about:

  • your personal background and circumstances
  • your physical and mental health, including any alcohol or drug use
  • any history of offending and response to previous disposals
  • your attitude to the current offence
  • your risk and needs
  • the feasibility of a community-based disposal.

If a report is requested, you will be asked to attend an interview with a social worker

Justice Services

Address: Council Offices
Albert Place

Telephone: 01896 664140