Gypsy/Travellers - rights and responsibilities

Charter performance

The Scottish Government’s Scottish Social Housing Charter sets out standards and outcomes that social landlords should achieve. 

The Charter says that local councils and social landlords with responsibility for managing sites for Gypsy/Travellers should manage the sites so that sites are well maintained and managed, and meet the minimum site standards set in Scottish Government guidance. 

We must provide an Annual Return on the Charter (ARC) to the Scottish Housing Regulator every year. 

The Scottish Housing Regulator publishes an Engagement Plan for every Council and every Council must make its Engagement Plan easily available and accessible to its tenants and service users. 

How can I find out more?

Please contact us if you would like to find out more about our performance, if you have any complaints about our service or if you have any ideas on how we can improve our services. You can contact us by:

  • phone: 01896 661385 or Freephone 0800 376 1138
  • online contact form
  • email: 
  • post: Homelessness Service, Scottish Borders Council, Paton Street, Galashiels, TD1 3AS

You can get a copy of the Scottish Social Housing Charter by visiting the Scottish Government website

The Scottish Housing Regulator has lots more information about the Charter and about landlord performance.