Scottish Youth Parliament
The Scottish Youth Parliament (SYP) is the democratically elected voice of Scotland's young people.
Purpose of the Scottish Youth Parliament
It is a young people's parliament, designed by young people and led by young people for the benefit of young people.
They are committed to ensuring young people are heard by the decision makers of Scotland and are determined to campaign on the issues which matter most to Scotland's youth.
Current representatives for the Scottish Borders
- Anna Vause and Emily Tweddle are the Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament for the Constituency of Ettrick, Roxburgh and Berwickshire
- Alexandra Waterston-law is the Member of the Scottish Youth Parliament for the Constituency of Midlothian South, Tweeddale and Lauderdale
The Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament are supported by staff from Scottish Borders Youth Voice to attend sittings and to deliver and develop local and national campaigns.
Elected representative roles
- in the Scottish Borders we have three elected representatives serving as Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament (MSYPs)
- the MSYP's are elected by their peer group and serve for a two year term
- MSYP's attend three sittings of the Scottish Youth Parliament in each year, and can also sit as members or conveners of committee groups
- as well as the SYP campaigns and consultations, your local MSYPs will also look at holding consultations and campaigns on issues specific to the Scottish Borders. So if you have any issues you know are affecting young people in the Borders get in touch. Contact email@example.com
From Scotlands Young People - Scottish Youth Parliaments five year Manifesto 2021-26
We are delighted to announce the launch of our new manifesto, From Scotland’s Young People.
The issues inside this key findings report focus on come directly from the concerns raised by 12-25 year olds across the country. By sharing their views in our consultation, young people have shaped SYP’s work over the next five years, as well as inform Scotland’s political parties on what changes Scotland’s youth would like to see in the next Scottish Parliamentary term.
We made a deliberate effort to shine a light on the issues that are most important to young people who might otherwise be harder to reach, and whose lives may have been affected disproportionately by the pandemic. The manifesto presents detailed insights about the issues that matter most to these young people, to amplify those voices and ensure they are heard by those in power.
Our manifesto gives us the strong mandate we have to represent young people and is now available to download from the SYP website.
We work to bring your voices to decision makers and design innovative, youth led campaigns to proactively create the changes you want to see.
This year, our members have selected four themes from our current youth manifesto which have become our National Campaign Priorities. These are:
- Right to Food
- Educational Attainment
- Climate Crisis
- Drugs Misuse
Find out more information on the SYP website.
To contact your local MSYP or find out more about the Scottish Youth Parliament, contact Scottish Borders Youth Voice firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Scottish Youth Parliament website.
Scottish Borders Youth Voice
Contact Pam RigbyAddress: