How to request a personal assessment

If you have already had an assessment but your needs have changed and you have a named worker, please telephone them directly to request a re-assessment.

If you do not have a named worker, you or someone you know can call 0300 100 1800, select option 1 and speak to a Customer Service Adviser.

The Customer Service Advisor will:

  • ask you a number of simple questions
  • complete an initial screening form to help in understanding your care needs
  • refer you for a more detailed assessment of your personal needs, if it is thought that you are eligible for a service
  • give you as much information as we can about alternative sources of support, if appropriate

Community hubs

You can attend a drop in session or you may be directed to What Matters community hubs.

If you are eligible

Social Care and Health will:

  • arrange a face to face meeting where we will discuss your needs.  We may (with your permission) seek advice from other professionals such as your doctor, carer or relatives or refer you onto other agencies.
  • advise if there is a charge for any services that may be put in place. We will need to ask you about your finances, including your income and capital
  • confirm if you are eligible for assistance and work with you to draw up a support plan, which details what services will be provided and when.

The cost of a service varies depending on your eligibility to receive it. In some cases services may be free of charge. In other cases, our Social Care and Health team may apply a charge in keeping with our charging policy.

If you are not eligible to receive a free or subsidised service, or if you prefer to arrange a service directly without a Social Work assessment, you can contact SB Cares directly or another service provider.

Download introduction to social care and preparing for assessment