Getting a personal assessment

To help us decide what support may be available to help you, we need you to have an assessment.

If you have already had an assessment but your needs have changed and you have a named worker, please phone them directly to request a reassessment.

If you do not have a named worker, you or someone you know can call 0300 100 1800 (option one) and speak to a Customer Advice and Support Services adviser. They will:

  • ask you a number of simple questions
  • complete an initial screening form to help in understanding your care needs
  • explain more about our eligibility criteria and charging policy
  • refer you for a more detailed assessment of your personal needs, if it is thought that you are eligible for a service
  • give you as much information as we can about alternative sources of support, if appropriate

What Matters Hubs

You can also visit your nearest What Matters Hub where you will be able to:

  • meet with staff such as social workers and occupational therapists
  • meet with people from community groups and voluntary organisations

What Matters Hubs offer free drop in sessions and appointments in a range of venues across the Borders. Contact us on 0300 100 1800 (option one) for more information.

If you are eligible for a service

  • a face to face meeting will be arranged where we will discuss your needs. We may (with your permission) seek advice from other professionals such as your doctor, carer or relatives or refer you onto other agencies
  • the cost of a service varies depending on your eligibility to receive it. In some cases services may be free. In others, a charge may be applied in line with our eligibility criteria and charging policy. We will need to ask you about your finances, including your income and capital but will explain more about this in our meeting with you
  • if there is a charge for any services that may be put in place, we will discuss this with you
  • we will then work with you to draw up a support plan, which details what services will be provided and when

If you are not eligible to receive a free or subsidised service, or if you prefer to arrange a service directly without an assessment, contact us on 0300 100 1800 or email to talk to an adviser about other options.

Download introduction to social care and preparing for assessment

Social Care and Health

Emergency out of office hours: 01896 752111

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800