Kinship care

All across Scotland, thousands of people, such as grandparents, aunts, uncles and family friends, care for children because their natural parents are unable to do so. If you are looking after a child like this, full time or most of the time, then you are a kinship carer.

Getting information and support

If you are a kinship carer, or think you might become one, you should contact your local Children and Families Social Work office. Depending on how long the child is likely to stay with you and other factors such as the child's legal status, you may need to have an assessment and a care plan developed for the child.

Contacting us does not mean a child will be taken away from you and put into foster or residential care. No one wants to see this happen when solutions can be found within the family. It does mean a proper assessment can be made of current arrangements in the best interests of the child.

Depending on where the child was living before he or she came to live with you, it may be another local authority who is responsible for the child. However we can help you find out and work with you.

It is your right to ask us what support, both practical and financial, we can provide. You should never feel under pressure to enter into a kinship care arrangement if you are not confident that you will get the right support.

If you are seeking support in applying for a Kinship Care Order (Residence Order) or feel you are entitled to retrospective support payments you should contact your local Children and Families Social Work Office. Download information and guidance on Kinship Care Orders.

Who should I contact?

For more information, contact the family placement team.

Where can I get independent advice?

Independent information, advice and support is available from:

Find your local integrated children's services office