Private foster care

You may need to notify us If someone else's child was placed with you by their parent or guardian who is not your:

  • brother
  • sister
  • grandson
  • granddaughter
  • nephew
  • niece

Notify us about private foster care

If the child is staying with you for more than 28 days you need to notify your local social work office. Social Work have a legal duty to check out your circumstances.

  • a social worker will visit you and the child you are looking after. It is their job to make sure the child is safe and properly cared for, and that you have the help and advice you need
  • they will then contact the child's parent or guardian about the circumstances and make a few other checks
  • the social worker will share all the information they receive with you and will visit you and the child from time to time
  • the social worker will be able to provide you with any advice and guidance you may need in looking after the child

If you are, or think you may be, looking after a child in a private fostering arrangement, please get in touch with our family placement team for advice.

Adoption, fostering and kinship care resources