Adult protection

Report your concerns

If you are worried that you or someone you know may be or has been harmed, it is important to tell someone.

  • if you already have a social worker, phone them directly as a matter of priority. You can also speak to a health professional or the police
  • if you do not have a social worker, phone 0300 100 1800. Our Customer Advice and Support Services team will take details and pass these on to the relevant social work team as a matter of priority
  • out of office hours, call 01896 752111
  • if someone is in immediate danger, call the Police on 999 without delay

Once we get a report

When a report is received, we will investigate the risk of harm. All actions are taken in partnership with the adult at risk and may include:

  • immediate action to ensure the safety of the adult
  • the police conducting criminal inquiries
  • providing advice and support to the adult at risk and any carers
  • providing a social care service to the adult, which may include referring them to other appropriate agencies

Most adults at risk are supported to stay in their own home. Where appropriate, you will be advised of the outcome of any enquiry.

Report terorism and extremism

If you are worried that someone you know might be at risk of getting involved in terrorism, don’t rely on others to report it.

Please report any concerns you have about anyone, adult or child, who you think may be vulnerable to being drawn into extremism.

Concerned about a child?

If you are concerned about a child or young person, see information on child protection