Report an abandoned vehicle
If you are concerned about a vehicle that appears to you to have been abandoned, please:
- Check our FAQs
- Contact environmental health online or phone 0300 100 1800 and provide as much information as possible including:
- the make, model, colour and registration number
- location of vehicle
- length of time it has been there
- whether or not it is taxed
- is it causing an obstruction to the highway or footpath
What happens after I report it?
A search for the owner will be undertaken. In most cases if the vehicle is confirmed as being abandoned a notice will be attached to it. On expiry of the notice the vehicle will be removed and disposed of.
It is difficult to say how long the process will take as we may have to consult the Police, the DVLA and in some cases landowners, but we aim to have all abandoned vehicles removed within 14 days after receipt of notification.
Disposing of vehicles
If you have a vehicle to dispose of please note it is an offence to abandon a vehicle and you could be prosecuted.
We have the power to recover from you the costs incurred in carrying out the abandoned vehicle procedure.