Rights Respecting Schools Award
About the award
The Rights Respecting Schools Award is a Unicef UK programme that aims to put children’s rights at the heart of schools in the UK. They work with thousands of schools across the country to embed children’s rights in their ethos and culture to improve well being and develop every child’s talents and abilities to their full potential.
Schools work on a journey to become fully Rights Respecting. The Award recognises a school's achievement in putting the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC or UNCRC) into practice within the school and beyond. To find out more visit the UNICEF website or watch this short documentary made by schools from around the UK on Rights Respecting Schools which shows their journeys and the benefits it has brought to their schools.
New for 2018
In January 2018 after a series of consultations with children and schools the Rights Respecting Schools Award was strengthened and streamlined. To find out more about the Journey from Bronze: Rights Committed to Gold: Rights Respecting please visit the UNICEF website.
Rights Respecting Schools in the Scottish Borders
Bronze Award: Rights Committed
- Clovenfords Primary School
- Denholm Primary School
- Drumlanrig St Cuthbert’s Primary School
- Duns Primary School
- Earlston High School
- Eddelston Primary School
- Fountainhall Primary School
- Greenlaw Primary School
- Halyrude Primary School
- Heriot Primary School
- Knowepark Primary School
- Lauder Primary School
- Newcastleton Primary School
- Newtown Primary School
- Selkirk High School
- St Boswells Primary School
- St Margaret’s RC Primary School (Hawick)
- St Peter’s Primary School
- Stirches Primary School
- Stow Primary School
- Trinity Primary School
- Wilton Primary School
- Yetholm Primary School
Silver Award: Rights Aware
- Ayton Primary School was awarded their Silver Award in June 2016
- Reston Primary School was awarded their Silver Award in June 2016
- Tweedbank Primary School was awarded their Silver Award in November 2017
Gold Award: Rights Respecting
- Priorsford Primary School was awarded their Gold Award in February 2016.
- Langlee Primary School was Awarded their Gold Award in May 2016.
Get your school involved
Many other schools in the Scottish Borders have embarked on the Rights Respecting Schools journey.
If you would like more information about how your school can get involved, please contact Ceri Hunter, the Strategic Lead for Rights Respecting Schools in the Scottish Borders, using the contact form below.