Scottish Youth Parliament
The Scottish Youth Parliament is the democratically elected voice of Scotland's young people.
Purpose of the Scottish Youth Parliament
It is a young people's parliament, designed by young people and led by young people for the benefit of young people.
They are committed to ensuring young people are heard by the decision makers of Scotland and are determined to campaign on the issues which matter most to Scotland's youth.
Current representatives for the Scottish Borders
- Rhys Pearce and (Vacancy) are Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament for the Constituency of Ettrick, Roxburgh and Berwickshire.
- Isabel Headon is the Member of the Scottish Youth Parliament for the Constituency of Midlothian South, Tweeddale and Lauderdale.
The Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament are supported by staff from Scottish Borders Youth Voice to attend sittings and to deliver and develop local and national campaigns.
Elected representative roles
- In the Scottish Borders we have three elected representatives serving as Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament (MSYPs).
- The MSYP's are elected by their peer group and serve for a 2 year term.
- MSYP's attend three sittings of the Scottish Youth Parliament in each year, and can also sit as members or conveners of committee groups.
Lead the Way - Scottish Youth Parliament 5 year Manifesto
On 12 March 2016, the Scottish Youth Parliament Launched Lead the Way at their 59th National Sitting in Galashiels. The Manifesto has received 72,744 consultation responses from young people all over Scotland, and provides SYP with an incredible mandate to represent the views of young people.
View the full version of Lead the Way.
2019/20 Campaign - Pack it up, Pack it in
Pack it up, Pack it in will work to empower Scotland’s young people to speak out and take action to reduce pollution levels in Scotland. This will be done in 3 phases:
The Reasearch Phase - September 2019 until December 2019
- An opportunity for young people to complete the online survey and have their say. This needs to be completed by the 8 of November 2019.
- MSYPs will endeavour to visit schools and youth groups to discuss the campaign with young people.
- The research will then be written up into a report by SYP
Recommendation Phase - December 2019 until October 2020
This is the period when MSYPs will be holding meetings with decision makers and making the views of Scotland's young people heard.
Grassroots Action - October 2019 until October 2020
This is the time when MSYPs will be taking monthly actions and working with their constituents to tackle the environmental issues in their area.