Apply for an Early Learning and Childcare place

Apply for an eligible 2 year old place

Eligible 2 year olds

How do I know if my child is eligible?

Your child may be eligible for free Early Learning and Childcare (ELC) from August 2019 if you meet the qualifying criteria below.

Qualifying criteria

Your child must have been born between 1 March 2017 and 28 February 2018 and you must in receipt of one of the following benefits on list A or B below.

List A:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity/severe disablement allowances
  • Pension Credit

List B:

  • Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit, and your income is less than £16,105
  • Both maximum Child Tax Credit and maximum Working Tax Credit and your income is under £6.9k
  • Universal Credit where the monthly earned income does not exceed £610
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

Alternative criteria

Children aged two or over who are (or have been at any point since turning two) looked after by a local council, the subject of a kinship care or guardianship order are eligible.

How do I apply?

Firstly we need to identify if you are eligible.

To do this you should complete the Eligibility Check form and submit it to the participating school, nursery, playgroup or childminder you want your child to attend. In addition:

  • If you are in receipt of a benefit on List A Job Centre+ you will need to complete and sign the form on the back of the eligibility form.
  • If you are in receipt of a benefit on List B you need to take along your original HM Revenue & Customs 2019/20 Tax Credit Award Notice or the most recent screen shot of your Universal Credit statement providing full benefit details.

Eligibility forms can be collected from:

  • any participating school nursery, partner provider or childminder on the list
  • downloaded from our website
  • health visitors
  • Job Centre+
  • Early Years Centres

What happens next?

The setting will process your application and let you know if you are eligible or not.

If eligible, you will be asked to submit a full application form To do this you will need the following documents:

  • Your child’s birth certificate 
  • Proof of their address (any one of the following is accepted: council tax bill, child benefit letter, bank statement, utility bill).

If your child is eligible for a funded 2 year old place, the funding will remain in place until he or she starts ELC3, even if your circumstances change.

If access to the Job Centre+ is difficult, due to distance to travel, please ensure all relevant paperwork relating to eligibility for List A is attached with the application.