Getting Married

Getting married abroad

You should contact the Consulate/Embassy for the relevant country for advice on what documentation will be required.

If you are asked to provide a Certificate of No Impediment (CONI) and you are resident in Scotland, you can apply no earlier than 3 months before the date of the wedding, to your local Registrar for this, by submitting notice as if you were getting married in Scotland.

Documentation to be submitted

You should submit the following to the Registrar:

The Registrar will then be able to issue the CONI 29 days after submission of the marriage notice and fee. The CONI is valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

For further information, please visit the National Records of Scotland website.