Domestic abuse

Protecting your children

Children at risk of harm

You may be concerned about a child at risk of harm, even if you are not the child's parent. You can report your concerns to us. 

Threat of abduction

Your partner or ex-partner may threaten that your child will be taken away from you if you leave or tell anyone about the abuse.

Social workers will not take your child away for this reason. If social workers get involved with your family, they will offer you and your children support and practical advice.

Our Domestic Abuse Advocacy Support (DAAS) service (phone: 01835 825 024), Men's Advice Line or a solicitor can advise you if you fear your partner will abduct your child. They can help you to apply for an order to limit contact between the child and your abusive partner. This is called an interdict and can be used to ban an abusive partner from doing a number of things.

Other help and support for children

You also can talk to your child’s head teacher or health visitor if you think that your child needs support.

Once children and young people are at low risk and not living with the abuser, they can be referred to the CEDAR project, a 12 week programme which helps mothers and their children recover from their experiences of domestic abuse. Referrals can be made by the non-abusing parent or a professional who is working with the family.