Additional support

Co-ordinated support plans

Co-ordinated support plans (CSP):

  • is an action plan for those children and young people who need significant additional support with their education from a number of agencies
  • is monitored regularly and reviewed annually
  • supports professionals to work together to help children and young people achieve educational targets
  • ensures this support is properly co-ordinated
  • is for everyone involved - the child or young person, the parents/carers, teachers, therapists, educational psychologists, social workers and so on

Other written plans used to make sure all children/young people learn effectively include Personal Learning Plans, Individualised Educational Programmes (IEPs) or similar local plans. However, the CSP is the only legally binding planning document in education.

Should my child have a CSP?

Parents/carers and young people have the right to request an assessment for a CSP. A child or young person may be considered for a CSP if:

  • the education authority is responsible for the child/young person's education
  • the child/young person's additional support needs are likely to continue for at least a year
  • the child/young person's additional support needs are due to one or more complex factors or to multiple factors (a complex factor is one that has a significant impact on that child/young person's ability to benefit from their school education)
  • significant additional support is required from education and one or more agencies outwith education, for example health services or social work, in order for the child/young person to benefit from school education. Significant additional support can be a significant input from one agency, or inputs from multiple agencies which are significant when all put together

The Additional Support for Learning Act 2004 and 2009 specifies timescales for responding to a request for assessment and for reviewing a CSP. It also places specific duties on local authorities to provide information to parents and carers, and to offer a free, independent mediation service to resolve disputes.

More information

If you have concerns about your child's progress in school you should always speak to your child's class teacher or Headteacher in the first instance. Each school in the Borders has a CSP Co-ordinator who can offer specific advice.

Where can I get independent advice?

Enquire, the Scottish advice service for additional support for learning, provides an independent mediation service for the Scottish Borders. This includes a great deal of additional information, advice and support for parents and carers and a range of helpful information sheets.