Money to stay on at school or college

Am I eligible for payments?


You must be 16 or reach the age of 16 on or before 28 February 2019 and be a resident of the United Kingdom living in Scotland. You must have lived in the United Kingdom or another European Union country for three years before 15 August 2018. Additionally you should be:

  • Attending a secondary school or college full time or studying part-time non-advanced course (12 hours of study or less per week).
  • Engaging in an Activity Agreement for more than 9 hours per week.


Your household income for the year ended 5 April 2018 (2017-2018) must be less than:

  • £24,421 - for households with one dependent child
  • £26,884 - for households with two or more dependent children

Dependent children are those up to the age of 16 and those between the age of 16 and 25 in full time further or higher education or part-time non-advanced course.

By household income we mean the income of your parent(s) or carer(s) who live with you.

When will I get paid

The start date of education maintenance allowance payments is dependent on the date of your 16th birthday.

If you are 16 on or before 30 September 2018 and we receive your application before 30 September 2018 we will pay your Education Maintenance allowance from August 2017.

If you are 16 between 01 October 2018 and 28 February 2019 and we receive your application before 28 February 2019 we will pay your education maintenance allowance from January 2019.

Late applications

Applications received after the dates shown above will not be backdated. Education maintenance allowance will be paid from the start of the week in which we receive your application.