Charges, Valuations and Appeals

Appeals and Queries


If you think you have been incorrectly charged, and it has nothing to do with the valuation of your property, you may appeal in writing within 28 days of receiving your bill to the:

Service Director - Customer and Communities
Council Headquarters
Newtown St Boswells
TD6 0SA.

If you do not agree with the Rateable Value assigned to your property, you need to appeal this with the Assessor.

An owner or occupier can appeal against the valuation. An appeal must be in writing to the Assessor, and can be made under one of three categories:

  1. Within 6 months of the date of issue of a Valuation Notice showing a new or revised valuation.
  2. Within 6 months of becoming proprietor, tenant or occupier.
  3. At any time provided a 'material change of circumstances' has occurred which has affected the value of the property. i.e. it has been altered in some way (e.g. part demolished) or something has happened which would reduce the rent a tenant would be willing to pay.

If appeals cannot be resolved by negotiation, the matter will be heard by the Valuation Appeal Committee.

All appeals must be made in writing to:

Assessors and Electoral Registration Officer
Scottish Borders Council
Old School Building
Council Headquarters
Newtown St Boswells