Domestic abuse

Help for men being abused

Men have the same right to protection from abuse as women.

Police and the law

The police treat domestic abuse as high priority. If you report an assault, the police will investigate and contact your partner or ex-partner. The police will press charges if there is enough evidence.

You can apply to court to get legal protection. You should speak to a lawyer experienced in family law. The Men’s Advice Line have information on legal advice.


We do not currently have a refuge for abused men.

We can help you to find emergency housing if you have nowhere to stay.

The Shelter Scotland website has advice on domestic abuse and homelessness.

Financial information

We can offer advice on welfare benefits and money matters.