We are committed to ensuring that the opportunity for fraud and corruption is reduced as far as possible. We rely on information from the public to help us to do this. Appropriate steps will be taken to investigate and prosecute anyone who is acting illegally.
Examples of fraud and corruption
- people who claim benefits that they are not entitled to
- people who don’t pay Council Tax or claim discounts that they are not entitled to
- businesses that cheat the system to avoid paying Business Rates
- employees who abuse their position, cheat or steal from us
- people who lie to avoid paying for care charges
- report fraud online
- phone: 01835 826835
- write: Corporate Fraud Section, Scottish Borders Council, Lancaster House, Newtown St.Boswells, Melrose, TD6 0SA
What happens next
You may report a fraud anonymously but it may improve the chances of a successful investigation if you give your name and contact details.
We will treat all information received in the strictest confidence and will not disclose the source of information unless instructed to do so by a Court of Law.
Staff whistle blowing
If you are one of our employees and you wish to report wrong doing in relation to your area of work, please see the Guide to Whistle Blowing on our intranet or contact Human Resources for a copy.
We will work to protect public money, along with our partners in,
- Police Scotland
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Audit Scotland
- other public bodies and partner organisations