Data Protection and Your Rights
Data Protection provides you with the right to ask:
- whether we are holding and using your personal data
- what personal data we are using
- who we share it with
- how long we will keep the data for
- what your rights are over how it is used
- Request a copy of or access to your personal data
- Request that access to your personal data is restricted
- Request that any inaccuracies recorded are corrected
- Raise an objection and request that we stop using your personal data
- Request that you are not subjected to automated decision making
- Request for your personal data to be transferred to another organisation
How to make a request
You can make your request on our website using our online contact form or by letter which you can hand into one of our contact centres or by post to:
The Information Management Team
Legal and Licensing
Scottish Borders Council
Newtown St Boswells
Please note that any information you provide in relation to your request will be held on computer for the purpose of managing your request and this will be retained for three years.
We will fully consider your request and write to inform you of our decision along with an explanation of the decision within 30 calendar days of receiving the request.
If you are not known to us personally, you will also be asked to verify your identity before we can proceed.
Data Protection Officer
Our Data Protection Officer is Nuala McKinlay, who can be contacted by phone 0300 100 1800, email firstname.lastname@example.org or by letter at the address provided above.
Information Commissioner Office
If you are dissatisfied with the way we handle your personal data, you should contact our Data Protection Officer to raise a complaint in the first instance. If you are unhappy with our response to your complaint, you are entitled to raise your concerns with the regulator of data protection, which is the UK Information Commissioner (ICO) and you contact their office by writing to:
UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
You can contact the ICO by post:
Information Commissioner's Officer
By phone 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545745 or email email@example.com.
You can find out more information on data protection and your rights on the Information Commissioner's Office website.