Benefit fraud investigation
Council Fraud Line
Tel: 01835 826835
We are keen to ensure that the services that we provide are not abused.
Examples of someone committing benefit fraud:
- working but not declaring this when claiming benefit
- claiming as a single person but actually living with a partner
- claiming from an address but not living there
- not telling us the full amount of income, savings or capital when claiming benefit
- claiming when, for any reason, they have no right to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
Report benefit fraud
If you have any concerns that relate to a fraudulently obtained benefit or a council service that is being abused there are two ways you can tell us:
- call us on our dedicated fraud hotline number 01835 826835
- complete our benefit fraud referral form.
All calls to the fraud hotline are treated in confidence. The calls will be answered in person during office hours. Outside normal office hours you can leave a message and the fraud referral form is anonymous.
The more information you give us, the more likely the investigation will result in a positive outcome.
Remember it is your money that pays for the services and benefits. Benefit fraud is stealing and we are committed to reducing it but need your help.