Benefit fraud investigation
National Fraud Line
Tel: 0800 328 0512
We are keen to ensure that the services we provide are not abused. Benefit fraud is stealing and we are committed to reducing it - but need your help.
Examples of someone committing benefit fraud:
- working but not declaring this when claiming benefit
- claiming as a single person but actually living with a partner
- claiming from an address but not living there
- not telling us the full amount of income, savings or capital when claiming benefit
- claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction when, for any reason, they have no right to claim
Report benefit fraud
If you have any concerns that relate to a fraudulently obtained benefit or a council service that is being abused, you can:
- call the national dedicated fraud hotline number 0800 328 0512
- report it to Gov.UK online
All calls to the fraud hotline are treated in confidence. The calls will be answered in person during office hours. Outside normal office hours you can leave a message and the fraud referral form is anonymous.
The more information you give us, the more likely the investigation will result in a positive outcome.
Remember it is your money that pays for the services and benefits provided.