Family support service
Integrated Children's Services
Advice, information and support for children, young people and families.
Being a parent is one of the most important and difficult jobs we do. Our Family Support Service offers a range of services to help families and parents. We work in partnership with parents, parents-to-be, children and young people to promote safe and healthy development and strong family relationships.
There are six Family Support Centres based in Eyemouth, Galashiels, Hawick, Innerleithen, Kelso and Selkirk. Each is staffed by family support workers and playleaders and offers a warm welcome to all families. The range of services provided includes:
- group-work programmes for parents and children, including topics such as Basic Parenting, Managing Tantrums, Play and Learn, and Healthy Eating
- after-school groups
- informal drop-in groups where parents can meet and share ideas
- good quality play activities for children
- an outreach service to parents and children in their own homes
- supervised contact/assessments for children in care and their families
- group-work programmes delivered in schools or other community bases
How do I access the Family Support Service?
Your midwife, health visitor, social worker, teacher, GP or other support agency can refer you to this service. You can also contact your local Integrated Children's Service office directly and ask about family support in your area.