Due to an upgrade of our payment system we are unable to accept debit or credit card payments until mid-afternoon on Tuesday 21 May.
Reporting a dog fouling problem
Address: Council Headquarters Newtown St Boswells Melrose TD6 0SA
Tel: 0300 100 1800
If you are experiencing regular difficulties with people allowing their dogs to foul in your area you can report a dog fouling problem online or contact us in confidence by telephone for advice and assistance.
If you are reporting a dog fouling issue or offender, please provide the following information to assist us in programming our patrols and targeting our resources effectively:
- location/s and time of fouling
- owner's name and address, if known
- description of the dog, including breed and colour
- your own contact details (anonymous calls accepted also.)
Promoting responsible dog ownership
We are keen to promote responsible dog ownership and have a range of initiatives in place, including the following:
- educating dog owners as to their responsibilities
- taking enforcement action against offenders
- providing litter bins throughout the Borders for the disposal of dog fouling and general litter.
- erecting "No Fouling" signs and posters
- giving talks to primary school children/ community groups.
If you would like to request a talk or a poster please get in touch with us by using our online form.
Anyone allowing their dog to foul in any public area and then not picking it up prior to disposal into a suitable bin can be fined up to £40. This can escalate to £60 if not paid. There is the potential for you to end up in court if you don't comply with the law and face a fine of £500.
A team of 7 SB Wardens operate throughout the region; they are further supported by 23 council workers, all of whom have been licensed to issue fines.