Address: Council Headquarters, Newtown St Boswells, Melrose, TD6 0SA
Tel: 0300 100 1800
SEPA Flood Warnings
SEPA website has information on current flood warnings with a searchable map.
Be prepared for flooding
- When travelling on the roads, please slow down and be aware of surface water.
- Take extra care if you have to cross deep or fast flowing flood water which can hide other dangers.
A number of self help sandbag stores are located in flood risk areas around the Borders. These sandbags are for emergency use only and should not be relied upon routinely as flood protection.
Flood alerts and updates
- If you live in a flood area you can register with Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) to receive advance warnings of floods sent directly to your phone Register for flood alerts online or by calling floodline on 0845 988 1788.
- During a flood alert regular updates will be broadcast on Radio Borders news bulletins 96.8, 102.3, 103.1 and 103.4 FM to keep you informed.
- Met office weather warning alerts can also be seen in our Media Centre. Please note this will be blank when there are no warning in place.
Blockages in the rivers and burns
Rubbish dumped in rivers and burns can cause blockages and make flooding worse. If you see rubbish dumped please call 0300 100 1800 or contact Emergency Planning online.
Flood protection products
We offer a range of flood protection products at discounted prices to Borders households and businesses whose property is at risk from flooding.
Switch off your electricity at the fuse box and your water supply at the mains in the event of a flood. Make sure you can easily identify where these are.
- Flood water can be dangerous to health.
- Don't allow children or pets to drink or play in flood water, wash your hands if you come into contact with the water.
Further advice and information
We try our best to keep our residents up to date with the latest information via:
Further advice and information is available from the Scottish Government website.