There are over 1,200 salt bins located across the Scottish Borders to allow immediate self-help treatment of roads and footways during severe weather conditions.
Request a salt bin refill
Salt bins are checked and refilled regularly during the winter months. To let us know that a salt bin needs to be refilled you can:
- let us know online
- call us on 0300 100 1800
It is not always possible to respond to requests while gritting or snow clearing is being carried out.
Request a new salt bin
Requests for a new salt bin should be made in writing to us. A salt bin will not be sited:
- on a road or footway which is treated as a primary route
- anywhere that causes an obstruction to pedestrians
- on private roads or areas
We will consider the provision of salt bin for identified roads which meet the agreed criteria. The criteria is based on:
- the number of properties served by the road
- distance from existing primary salting route or existing salt bin
- special features (such as steps, prolonged shade, proximity to public buildings: sheltered housing, health centres and schools)
The assessment is based on information gathered about the section of road in question, rather than individual householders information.
See our winter FAQs for more on salt bins and other areas of our winter service.