There are over one thousand grit bins located across the Scottish Borders to allow immediate self-help treatment of roads and footways during severe weather conditions.
Request a grit bin refill
Grit bins are checked and refilled regularly during the winter months. To let us know that a grit bin needs to be refilled you can:
- contact winter maintenance online
- call us on 0300 100 1800
It is not always possible to respond to requests while gritting or snow clearing is being carried out.
Request a new grit bin
Requests for a new grit bin should be made in writing to us. A grit bin will not be sited:
- on a road or footway which is treated as a primary route
- anywhere that causes an obstruction to pedestrians
- on private roads or areas
We will consider the provision of salt bin for identified roads which meet the agreed criteria. The criteria is based on:
- the number of properties served by the road
- distance from existing primary salting route or existing salt bin
- special features (such as steps, prolonged shade, proximity to public buildings: sheltered housing, health centres and schools)
The assessment is based on information gathered about the section of road in question, rather than individual householders information.