The Conservation Area of Carlops includes much of the linear village.
It was founded in 1784, when Robert Brown the Laird of Newhall established a cotton weaving industry laying out rows of weavers’ cottages on either side of the main Edinburgh-Biggar Road.
A significant feature of the Village is the remains of the former quarry, in other locations it would be seen as unsightly but here it is attractive in an unusual way.
Carlops is a linear village that possesses a distinct identity. The openness of the field to the front of Carlops Mains contrasts with the height of the former quarry and gives a sense of enclosure to the Village.
The most important part of the Conservation Area is the rows of original cottages that have been little altered and are single storey with porches.
Some properties however, rise to two storeys such as the Allan Ramsey Hotel and Carlops Mains. While the majority of properties front onto the A702, most of the cottages have some form of garden ground to the front. Beige sandstone, slate and harling are frequently used throughout.
The majority of the cottages have simple vertical boarded doors. Details such dry stone boundary walls, skews, stepped quoins, rybats and margins are features that are notable within Carlops and should be preserved.
While these collective details form the character of the Carlops Conservation Area they should all be protected and any alterations or new build should seek to respect the individual buildings and the wider Conservation Area.
Alterations from previous Statement and Boundary
Alterations to the Carlops Conservation Area boundary from that shown in the Tweeddale Village Plans (1997) consist of the inclusion of Patie’s Mill to the north, the exclusion of Rogersrigg Cottage, Rogersrigg Steading South, Rogersrigg Farm, Cragside, Rigg House and Pyet Hall. Land to the south, west and east of the boundary is also excluded. General tidying of the boundary is also undertaken so that it follows elements on the ground.