The Conservation Area of Greenlaw takes in a significant part of the settlement. Its name stems from the nature of the place – a green hill.
The town of Greenlaw was originally sited near the present Old Greenlaw House, on an eminence or law.
New Greenlaw began to expand in the valley, on its present site in the second half of the 16th century.
By 1598 it was more populous than Old Greenlaw and parliament ratified a charter of burgh of barony in 1600.
The Conservation Area of Greenlaw and former County Town is centred round the Former Court House located on the Green.
The majority of properties on the High Street are built to the footpath with a few exceptions – these primarily being the Castle Inn Hotel, the Court House and the former Church that is now in the use of a garage.
It is these noteworthy properties that help to give Greenlaw its character.
Properties within the Conservation Area tend to be built in short rows but a few detached properties do exist. Ranging from single to two storeys, properties vary in styles.
Although the details highlighted above are important and contribute greatly to the character of Greenlaw they do not do so in isolation.
Building materials and architectural details are also just as important. Sandstone, some whinstone, dash, harling, slate and occasionally pantiles (as found along Todholes and other minor streets) all help to form the character.
Architectural details such as transom lights, sash and case windows (though unfortunately there are some uPVC replacements), rybats, margins and in some instances pilasters all add to the sense of place.
Any new development must therefore aim to contribute to the existing character of the Conservation Area.
Designation, adoption and boundary information
Alterations to the Greenlaw Conservation Area boundary from that shown in the Berwickshire Local Plan (1994) consist of the exclusion of the new property – Avalon along Todholes, the inclusion of 7, 9 and 11 Mill Wynd along with the hall also located on this street, 33 and 35 East High Street, 6 Bank Street, Wester Bridge and a section of the river embankment to the north. General tidying of the boundary was also undertaken so that it follows elements on the ground.